OGGS Pharmacy

Raymond Chan first arrived in Australia from Hong Kong in 1982 to pursue further studies. He never left. His is a success story of a first generation immigrant who calls Australia home.

After HSC (1982), Raymond went on to complete his Bachelor (1986) and Master (1993) in Pharmacy degrees at Monash University. He subsequently undertook a PhD in Business Administration (2003).

Raymond entered into his first pharmacy partnership in 1987 and subsequently owned a number of pharmacies at different times. Fiercely protective of the pharmacy profession and with a strong conviction of personalised and ethical pharmacy practice, Raymond resisted going into business with the big corporate groups and conglomerates. Several times during his career, Raymond, like many pharmacists in small independent retail pharmacies, experienced extreme pressure to compete with large discount pharmacy stores that view pharmacy as a business, nothing more. Raymond stood his ground. Providing health care simply cannot be just a business!

Raymond bought the South Yarra Pharmacy in 2002, followed by setting up the Flinders Street Station Pharmacy in 2007 and Spencer Street Pharmacy in 2009, and finally bought the Oggs Pharmacy1 in 2012. His pharmacies will remain personal local pharmacies where people know they will get excellent pharmaceutical advice and personal service. We are currently rebranding our stores to reflect these values.

In 1989, Raymond married his high school sweetheart who he met whilst doing his HSC. They have three sons.

1 Oggs Pharmacy was first established in 1872 by chemist and druggist Charles Ogg at 76 Collins Street. After it was demolished in 1977 when Nauru House was built at the original site, the pharmacy was relocated several times before finally settling in its current location.